Wind Turbines don't work on sub-grids

Stephen Anderson shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

Not sure if bug or feature.

Also I can't help but feel like they mostly make solar panels obsolete. Wind turbines are cheaper, they work 24/7 from what I can tell, and they produce a lot more power, especially if placed strategically.

They don't have to be defended because there are still no random encounters on planets. I can't imagine why I would ever use a solar panel on a planet ever again.

Replies (3)

photo

Wind turbines must be locked to a static grid. They don't function on a movable grid. Try locking down the subgrids with landing gears, that might work - it does work for vehicles at least.

photo

I disagree, for me wind turbines aren't that powerful. You need 4 of them (maybe 3, depends on their output, I didn't figure out how that work yet) to only get one basic assembler to run, and they're 3x3 blocls, that' huge.

Yes you can spam them, but appart from being not aesthetic, I think a solar tower will be more efficient on the long term.

photo

You just need to know how to place them. Keep them high off the grownd and spaced apart and they'll produce a good 350kWh

photo

You must convert the subgrid of the rotor top and the turbine into a station. To do so, you'll need a way to access it directly. For example, use an additional block between rotor head and turbine so as to have space for a temporary control panel. Access the control panel, find the Info tab, then click Convert to station. (You can now also grind down the block since the rotor top itself will remain a station; then add the turbine back on.)

Of course, you will end up with a floating grid, but at least you now have an operational wind turbine on top of it.

photo
photo

placing a wind turbine on a rotor (example, on top of an automatic alignment solar array) produced 0W

Leave a Comment

Attach a file