[1.189.040] A ships mass is not correctly updated when manually adding mass to its container

MegaByte shared this bug 5 years ago
Reported

Ok, this is a tricky one.

When manually adding or removing mass to a container of an atmospheric ship, the total mass of the ship is not (always) updated. This affects the thrust of the ship as well. (Both Creative and Survival)

Reproduce:

- New Game => Earth Planet (Survival, rest default settings)

- Atmospheric_Miner_mk.2 ship has a default mass of 58,629 kg.

- Remove all uranium from the ship (when there is uranium, the mass does seem to update every sec or so)

- The ship now has a mass of 58,621 kg.

- Spawn 1,500 kg of ore and pick it up with your character

- Put this 1,500 kg of ore in the medium cargo container from outside of the ship (through an access hatch)

- The ship mass is not updated and is still 58,621 kg.

When DOES it update:

- when entering and leaving the cockpit

- when there is uranium in a reactor connected to the ship

- when adding mass to the drills instead of the container

- maybe some other ways, I did not fully investigate

This has the nice effect of stuffing your hovering ship with ore untill it is full, it still hovers no problem, then you enter the cockpit, the mass updates and boom it sinks like a stone.

Also see my other bug: https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/general/topic/1-189-040-player-mass-gets-added-to-total-ship-mass-but-has-no-effect-on-thrusters

Replies (4)

photo

I have same bug with ground vehicle. Vehicle mass does not change when cargo is transferred between grids. It changes when vehicle blocks destroyed or placed new one.

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Thank you for your feedback! Your topic has been added between considered issues.

Please keep voting for the issue as it will help us to identify the most serious bugs.

We really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Wow, 2 year old report, still exists. Hmm.

Was noticing this while refining an LCD display program block showing mass limit while in atmo and/or gravity. Noticed it takes time to update, despite manually adding/removing kg of ores to see the value results. Same with drills taking in ores, or dumping ores out with ejectors.

photo

Hello, Frigidman!

I see you recently commented on this thread. There is a somewhat similar thread here https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/ship-mass-not-updating-when-transferring-cargo-to-other-grid that has recently been reproduced and is awaiting a fix. Is this something close to your experience?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

No.... I've not seen that specific behavior. Whenever I unconnect/connect, all values update for me. The lag/delay I get, is when cargo is actually filling up or being reduced (either by manually dropping cargo in by hand, or with drills and ejectors).

Similar issues:

Something with the `.CalculateShipMass()` is not updating when it should.

photo

Hello, Frigidman!

Thank you for confirming. I have spoken to a colleague and as they are so similar, I have added this issue with the linked one together for further investigation and more steps :)

Thank you to MegaByte for the steps, this has been reproduced and reported as mentioned above :)

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Dear Laura (and Keen Software),

Nice that this bug will finally be fixed.

To bad however that it took over 2 years. I stopped playing about 1.5 years ago :).

This seems to me as an easy explainable, easy reproducible and easy to fix bug.

So the problem as to why this took so long to be noticed seems to me as an organizational one.

By making it possible for users to report bugs (in detail), you actually save time and money in your testing team and by extent your company.

However by not responding to it for over 2 years, it makes your users less likely to report (other) bugs here, because why should they put time and effort in it if nothing comes out of it.

This is not a blame to you personally!

I just hope this gets discussed in your team/department as to how this can be improved in the future.

I wish you all good luck.

Kind Regards,

MegaByte, ex-player

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file