Surround sound not working with positional sound sources
First of all, I Know there are existing tickets about this issue, but most of them are marked as outdated, wontfix etc etc, because the issue was not reproduced by keen, im here to give all the details needed to reproduce the issue
I was not able to attach the video as it is bigger than 64MB,
Video here: https://streamable.com/t2rtca
When using a audio output device which has surround sound (5.1(6 channels) or 7.1(8 channels)), all sounds played using a soundblock are broken, such as that no matter where the player is in relation to the soundblock, it will always sound like its coming from right next to the players right ear, (as long as the player is in range of the sound)
there is a quiet sound also coming from the left side speaker.
If I set the game to output audio to a 2 channel (Stereo) output, the sound works normally.
This issue happens with both Stock and Modded soundblock sounds, but interestingly, if the sound being played has a bitrate other than the expected 44.1kHz, the sound sounds like its playing inside the characters head.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE (on any system):
These steps work even if you don't have a surround sound headset or home theater.
These steps are split into 2 parts. the first one is how to setup a "Virtual" 7.1 channel surround audio input/output device, the second is how to reproduce the bug in game
1. Install "Virtual Audio Cable trial" by muzychenko,
1b. Change the default output and input device to something other than "Virtual Audio Cable"
2. After installing, open the VAC control panel (As a administrator) and change the following settings: "Max NC" set to 8, then click the "Set" button next to it, then, under "Format Range" set the 2 boxes next to "NC" both to 8.
3. Click the "Restart" button in the left side of the window, under Max NC, then click the "Set" button on the right side of the window (Not the one next to "Max NC" )
4. Change the default audio output device to "Virtual Audio Cable"
Now when you open the game, look at the "Signal levels" column in the VAC control panel, and you should see little red bars indicating the sound being outputted to each of the 8 channels
Leave the VAC control panel window open, and open the game
Steps to reproduce ingame:
1. Create a grid with a sound block
2. Play any of the sounds from the sound block (Preferably on a loop)
3. Move around the sound block and notice how the sound is always loudest on the Right channel
If you want to hear the sound while playing, open windows audio settings, go to "Recording" tab, select the "Virtual audio cable" and enable "Listen to this device" and from the dropdown, select your normal audio output device, such as a headset