Fix the "dead grid" problem
This is a very well-known problem among players, especially on small grids where the small reactors have a single inventory/conveyor port:
- You have a grid that uses reactors for power, where reactors are (obviously) connected to the conveyor system.
- The grid uses up all uranium from the reactors, and goes offline.
- You find it impossible to get the grid back online, because you can't fill the reactors with uranium, since the conveyor system doesn't work when the grid is offline...
- This can be particularly frustrating (and not user-friendly at all) for new players who have no idea about this issue until it happens to them.
As a workaround, what currently experienced players do is to place an additional, outward-facing small reactor on our builds, which is rather wasteful, and adds unnecessary weight, since that reactor is normally not in use, and is only there for emergencies.
Would be nice to see some solution to this problem.
Solutions (or mitigation) I can personally think of:
- Add a second inventory/conveyor port on the small grid small reactor as well. This would allow us to leave an outward-facing inventory port of a reactor for emergencies, and still connect that reactor to the conveyor system.
- Add a new, special block that can be placed on the exterior of the ship and accepts e.g. energy cells to provide power for the conveyor system.
- Add a small, 1x1x1 solar panel block that we can place on the grids to provide the emergency power required for the operation of the conveyor system. (This block is sorely needed anyway according to many players.)
- Simply allow the manual filling of reactors through the conveyor system even when the grid is offline.